As the year is quickly drawing to a close, I thought that this is as good a time as any to reflect on the last twelve months. Like with the years that have preceded 2013, there have been high highs and low lows which have allowed the days to pass me by in a flash. The post high school time speed up really isn’t so much a myth but more a general consensus felt by my friends and I because the older we get and the further away from high school, the faster the years seem to go by. Nevertheless, there have been many momentous occasions this year and I think that this is a good opportunity for me to list my top 5 and 10’s. There are a few different categories but like with any list maker worth their salt, they will be appropriately labeled so here goes. Just note that obviously these lists are only for what I have experienced. There will no doubt be much disagreement with some of them. Also, try not to judge me too harshly. I have a lot of guilty pleasures.
TOP 10 WINNING MOMENTS OF 2013
1. The day my friends, James and Kayla, got engaged at the top of a mountain. (I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE WEDDING IN JUNE 2014!)
2. Surprising one of my most excellent friends, Tiffany Winteler, at the airport upon her return from 6 months in Munich (There was a glitter covered sign, a shocked expression and tears. Priceless.)
3. Going on my first ever high school prac at Centenary State High School as part of my Secondary Education degree. (Teaching Year 12 English and then having a Year 12 boy come up to me and thank me on behalf of his classmates. Validation at last!)
4. Finding out that fans raised enough money to finance the Veronica Mars movie due to be released in 2014.
5. Finding, booking and paying for cheap flights to the U.S for a month in June/July 2014. ($AU1400 return. America come at me!)
6. Running my first 10km fun run in under 50 minutes (Bridge to Brisbane 2013) and completing the “Happiest 5km run in the world” (Gold Coast Colour Run 2013).
7. Seeing King Kong on stage in Melbourne. (He’s a 2 tonne puppet! AH-FREAKING-MAZING!)
8. Starting to write my blog and having complete strangers like what I’m writing.
9. Turning 26 and having a onesie party. (It was pure, unadulturated fun and I recommend that everyone try it!)
10. Getting my paws, claws, hair and make-up done for Gala on the Green. (I felt a bit like a movie star wearing my glamourous dress and jewellery. Just sayin’.)
TOP 10 FAILS OF 2013
1. Failing a take-home university test on TV genres by second guessing myself and submitting the second version of my answers instead of the first version with the correct answers. (Doh!)
2. Doing broad jumps at bootcamp carrying 20kg. (My back is still suffering the consequences 3 weeks later. I can only blame myself.)
3. Constantly having to dip into my savings because I under-estimate how much money I spend on a fortnightly basis. (Whoops!)
4. Not being able to convince my parents to take me on their month-long Greek/Turkish holiday.
5. Still having to live at home with the olds.
6. Continuing to work for a company that I no longer enjoy working for. (The money is just too good to pass up.)
7. Feeling like I’m stuck in the blackhole that is Brisbane. (I do love living here but sometimes I just really need to escape!)
8. Not paying better attention to/not really caring what I’m eating.
9. Allowing myself to be consumed by new TV episodes on iTunes rather than by my university work.
10. Witnessing Miley Cyrus gyrate and twerk while repeatedly exposing her tonsils to onlookers during her performance at the 2013 VMAs. (What was seen cannot be unseen.)
TOP 10 FILMS OF 2013 (CINEMA & DVD RELEASES)
*NB: It’s not the end of the year yet and there were a few films that I haven’t had a chance to see just yet (ie. Anchorman 2, Argo, American Hustle, Gravity etc)
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Director: Francis Lawrence With: Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson)
2. Warm Bodies (Director: Jonathan Levine With: Nicolas Holt, Teresa Palmer, John Malcovich)
3. Enough Said (Director: Nicole Holofcener With: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini)
4. Furious 6 (Director: Justin Lin With: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson)
5. Iron Man 3 (Director: Shane Black With: Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Guy Pearce)
6. Sound City (Director: Dave Grohl)
7. The Heat (Director: Paul Feig With: Sandra Bullock, Michael McDonald, Melissa McCarthy)
8. The Family (Director: Luc Besson With: Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Diana Agron, John D’Leo)
9. Now You See Me (Director: Louis Leterrier With: Jesse Eisenberg, Common, Mark Ruffalo)
10. Thor: Dark World (Director: Alan Taylor With: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston)
TOP 10 TV SERIES WATCHED/WATCHING IN 2013
1. Game of Thrones, Season 3
2. Supernatural, Season 9
3. Veronica Mars, Season 1-3
4. Grey’s Anatomy, Season 10
5. Elementary, Season 1-2
6. The Walking Dead, Season 4
7. Vampire Diaries, Season 5
8. The Originals, Season 1
9. The Carries Diaries, Season 2
10. Hart of Dixie, Season 3
TOP 5 LIVE ACTS I SAW IN 2013
1. Adam Hills “Happyism” @ The Brisbane Convention Centre
2. Taylor Swift’s RED Tour @ Suncorp Stadium
3. Arj Barker’s “Go Time” @ The Brisbane Powerhouse
4. Dead Letter Circus @ The Tempo
5. TBA… (I really should have thought this out better)
TOP 10 SONGS I LISTENED TO THE MOST IN 2013
*The songs were’t necessarily released in 2013. There are a couple of oldies in there.
1. Red – Taylor Swift
2. Clarity – Zedd featuring Foxes
3. Asleep – Emily Browning (from the Sucker Punch Soundtrack)
4. Work B**ch – Britney Spears
5. Someone To Love – Havana Brown
6. Of The Night – Bastille
7. Buses and Trains – Bachelor Girl
8. Get Lucky – Daft Punk
9. The Wire – HAIM
10. Blue (Da Ba Dee) – Eiffel 65
I could go on and on, making more and more lists but I suspect that there are only so many that people actually tolerate reading in one post. For now, I’ll leave the rest of my lists for future posts and leave you with a parting thought: What were your lists for 2013?